Each with an imbricated shell carving at the hooped crestrail over a back splat with gadrooned scrollwork and diapered panel, flanked by shaped moulded uprights; the drop-in seats upholstered in gros point floral needlework, set into a carved rail and raised on cabriole legs with shell carving at the knees ending in ball-and-claw feet; the rear cabriole legs with slipper feet. Inscribed "VII" and "VIII" respectively.
Mostly likely part of a larger set belonging to Lord Zouche as recorded at Parham Park, Sussex. An identical model from this set is seen H. Cescinsky, English Furniture of the Eighteenth Century, vol. II, 1909, p. 46, fig. 35
See also P. Macquiod, The History of English Furniture: The Age of Mahogany, London, 1919, p. 267, fig. 254.
Originally owned by the Abbey at Westminster, the lands comprising Parham were granted to Robert Palmer, a Londoner, by Henry VIII in 1540. The Palmers laid the foundation stone in 1577 and owned the lands until 1601 when it passed to Sir Thomas Bysshopp. The Bysshopp descendants lived at Parham for over 300 years. In 1822, the 8th Baronet became the 12th Lord Zouche and his family occupied the home until the early 20th century when it was sold to the Hon. Clive and Alicia Pearson whose family is still involved with the property which has been open to the public since 1948.
Other chairs from this set were included in the collection at Kenwood House (Edward Guinness, 1st Earl of Iveagh (d. 1927).
Related chairs have been exhibited at the Governor's Palace at Colonial Williamsburg, The Metropolitan Museum Art (NY) and The Philadelphia Museum of Art.