A MAGNIFICENT VIRTUAL PAIR OF BOLDLY CARVED OAK CONSOLE TABLES; ONE EXECUTED BY GILLOWS AND CO. IN 1823, THE OTHER BY FRANCIS OWEN IN 1841; each with a rectangular top above a gadrooned frieze over a deep shaped apron centered by the Newborough coat of arms surmounted by a baron's coronet and flanked by griffins and foliate arabesques; raised on four keeled imbricated S-scroll legs with acanthus leaf carving; on shaped bases with laurel leaf border.
Provenance: One supplied to Thomas John Wynn, 2nd Baron Newborough in 1823 by Gillows and Co.; the second supplied to Spencer Bulkeley Wynn, 3rd Baron Newborough in 1841 for Glynliffon, Caennarvonshire, Wales.
The Glyns of Glynllifon traced their ancestry to Cilmyn Troed Ddu, a semi-mythical hero who settled on the banks of the River Llifon in the 9th Century. After the death of Llywelyn, the last independent Prince of Wales, the family’s history is one of rewarded loyalty and service to the English Crown resulting in the steady growth of the family’s wealth and stature. In the late 1600’s Francis Glyn inherited the estate and in 1700 she married Thomas Wynn of the Bodfean Estate. The Glyn name was lost forever and Wynn remains the family name to this day. Sir Thomas Wynn was awarded a peerage and became the first Lord Newborough in 1776.
The first table was commissioned from the firm of Gillows by Thomas John Wynn, 2nd Baron Newborough upon returning from his Grand Tour in 1823. Although he had inherited the estate when he was five, it was not until he came of age that he embarked on the design of his study, the Hall, Dining, Room, Drawing Rood and Sitting Room. After a fire in 1836, Spencer Bulkeley Wynn, 3rd Baron Newborough rebuilt the house. It was then that the second table was commissioned from Francis Owens in 1841, trading under the name of Owens and King, off Oxford Street. The pair stood in the Banqueting Hall flanking a doorway.